It matters where you live in regard to your health and well-being.
The new 2015-2016 Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index report just came out. This part of the report ranks cities and states based on studying 189 communities across the US and their Well-Being Index score.
This information is fascinating to me. Given that so many factors influence our health and well-being, it is interesting to see which cities and states create the best living conditions.
Remember, the 10 Dimensions of Wellness are:
Physical – Nutritional – Medical and Dental – Social – Environmental – Spiritual – Behavioral & Intellectual – Psychological & Emotional – Occupational – Financial
The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index uses these five elements to measure communities’ Well-Being:
- Purpose: Liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: Having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: Managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: Liking where you live, feeling safe and having pride in your community
- Physical: Having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
In 2015–2016, many of the top well-being communities are in California (seven in the top 25), Colorado (three), Texas (three), Florida (two) and Virginia (two). There is strong consistency historically, as 17 communities returned to the top 25 in 2015-2016, as compared to 2014-2015. And Florida is at the top.
Highest Well-Being Communities:
- Naples–Immokalee–Marco Island, FL
- Barnstable Town, MA
- Santa Cruz–Watsonville, CA
- Urban Honolulu, HI
- Charlottesville, VA
- North Port–Sarasota–Bradenton, FL
- San Luis Obispo–Paso Robles, CA
- Lynchburg, VA
- Hilton Head Island–Bluffton-Beaufort, SC
- Boulder, CO
There’s a lot more information to glean from this report. This link will take you there.
Here’s to Your Health Wherever You May Live