The goal of our Hero’s Journey is NOT becoming a hero that:
- Swoops in and saves the day, “I’m in charge now”
- Fixes all problems and challenges by taking power and decision making away from others
- Takes on responsibility for all things
The goal of our Hero’s Journey IS :
- a Call to Action generated by:
- Feeling disconnected in our practice between mastering the scientific and technical competencies required of us versus wanting to provide human caring that will touch people’s lives, and
- Feeling waves of woundedness and powerlessness.
- a Journey Within characterized by:
- Gaining an understanding of the forces within healthcare that impact us
- Reflecting on how we think, respond and feel about ourselves, others and nursing
- Striving to find ways of being and acting that help us feel better
- Striving to find meaning in our work through expanded awareness of self, others, events around us
- Gaining a New Sense of Clarity about our Nurse Self
- Arriving at our own truths within our nursing practice
- Greater healing within and with others
- Able and willing to help other nurses in their journeys
Calling For a New Hero Leader versus the traditional heroic leaders.
As we know, current clinical practice is rising in complexity and risk.
We all feel this. It’s easy for us to gravitate to the traditional heroic leaders who take control of situations and avert crises. I know that I did as a CNO. It’s hard not to promote these types of heroic leaders.
The truth is that this style of leadership is a menace. It’s devastating to the team and threatens the futures of nurses. Supporting this style of leadership creates a cycle of bedside nurses unable to grow their crisis skills, becoming overly dependent on the hero leader and ultimately not being seen as willing to step up. This is our fault, not theirs.
Currently we have a crisis in numbers. Soon we will have more novice RNs than experienced.
Not surrendering to the traditional cycle requires clarity and insight to grow environments of learning.
Our Hero’s Journey Within will help grow new hero leaders, bedside nurses and healthier futures.